1st Provisional Tax Returns for 2018 are Due on 31st August 2017
1st provisional tax return for 2018 is due on the 31 August 2017.
Please note that if we have not received your information by 12 noon on the 31st of August we will be unable to submit your return.
Kindly please send us your provisional tax information before the end of August to avoid penalties and interest.
You will know if you are registered by either:
1) Asking your tax-practitioner
2) Phoning SARS on 0800 00 7277
3) On your latest tax assessment, you will see a “Y” next to “registered as provisional tax payer”
4) If you are a company or closed corporation, you are most definitely registered for provisional tax
Who should be registered as a provisional tax payer?
1) Employees earning any other income except salary. I.e. rental income, drawings from a business, business income, consulting income, interest income, dividend income, capital gains etc
2) Any person that SARS says is registered
3) All companies and closed corporations
What is provisional tax?
Provisional tax is a separate form of tax. It is like PAYE in the sense that you pay tax on income earned before you actually submit your income tax return. You have to submit two returns during the tax year, the 1st one by the end of August and the second by the end of February i.e. For the 2018 income tax period your 1st provisional tax submission is due at the end of August 2016. The second is then due at the end of February 2018.
How do I calculate my 1st provisional tax?
You start by calculating the expected taxable income for the 2018 income tax period. You can use actual amounts over the expected period or you can use the 2017 actual taxable income and adjust it for expected change in the 2017 income tax period. After you have calculated the taxable income for 2018, you then calculate the tax payable on this income and deduct the PAYE and/or withholding tax already paid. This should then be divided by 2 to give you 6-month result. This amount needs to be paid by the 31st of August 2017.
Please don’t hesitate to phone or contact us if you have any queries or if you need us to assist you.
email@example.com or 0116581324
ANLO Financial Solutions